Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Cooking for Three

On Monday we were visited by some members of the sister congregation to the Mphome Circuit from Berlin, Germany. Heine, Siglinda, and Lilly have been travelling around various parishes in the circuit, and Monday was their day to visit Masealama and get a feel for what is currently taking place there, and how they can best aid us in the future. Since I have been working in the kitchen mainly, I got to spend all Monday morning preparing lunch for these three Germans, which by the looks of the food we prepared you would guess we were feeding about 30 Germans. This is the South African style though (at least here in Masealama)- prepare food in large portions and then force newcomers to eat it all- trust me I know! So we prepared a typical meal from this region (except without fruit because it is not yet in season…) which included chicken (boiled and baked), pap (for the South African’s present who physically need pap every day), rice (for those of us who can do without pap), cooked cabbage, cole slaw, beetroot, green salad, soup, and juice. It was quite the feast, and although I didn’t do any of the actual cooking I did help slice most of the vegetables that were used to make the soup, cabbage, and salad,, so if you can see the finely sliced zucchini and carrots in the salad- that was my doing. After this meal I did not have to cook dinner all week because 1) I was still full from this meal on Monday, and 2) I was given enough leftovers to feed a small army. When I return to the states I will be able to prepare all of these dishes from scratch, so you can look forward to that!


~Heather Anne Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment